Article from Cisco Systems reporting their vision about IPv6 implementation.
IPv6 - Cisco vision
IPv6 expands the number of network address bits from 32 bits (in IPv4) to 128 bits, which provides more than enough globally unique IP addresses for every networked device on the planet.
However, it’s not just about addressing. It’s about business continuity and innovation. The unlimited address space provided by IPv6 will allows us to deliver more and newer applications and services with reliability, improved user experience and increased security. These might include:
- Multiple internet-enabled mobile devices for every person on the planet
- Billions of embedded sensors using technologies such as RFID, IEEE 802.15.4, and Personal Area Networks
- Home and industrial appliances
- Smart grids
Organizations which choose to react to address exhaustion will find their customer base shrinking. It will be more difficult to innovate and more resources will be needed to sustain IPv4 investments. It’s best to be proactive.
The Vision and the Plan
No matter what, you need a plan for IPv6. If you are not sure where to start, Cisco Services can guide you through our successful, proven process. They can help answer questions such as:
- How do I know if my organization really needs IPv6?
- How do I find out if my network is ready for IPv6?
- How do I get IPv6 addresses, and who provides them?
- How do I deploy IPv6 without disrupting my business?
Cisco is using a "preserve, prepare, and prosper" approach for enterprises, small business, and service providers.