What is Microsoft Outlook Express?
An Internet mail and news client included with Microsoft Internet Explorer version 4. Microsoft Outlook Express replaces the older Microsoft Internet Mail and News client included with Internet Explorer 3.
Outlook Express includes the following features:
- A customizable three-pane view that shows folders, messages, and message content
- WYSIWYG editing of Hypertext Markup Language (HTML) messages
- Support for Internet standard protocols, including Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP), Post Office Protocol version 3 (POP3), Internet Mail Access Protocol version 4 (IMAP4), Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP), and Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP)
- Support for multiple Internet service provider (ISP) accounts so that users can receive mail from multiple e-mail accounts and download all messages into the same Inbox
- Integration with Internet Explorer security zones
- Automatic name resolution (matching address book entries to a typed username)
- Stationery templates for adding a personal touch to messages
- Enhanced Inbox rules for filtering incoming mail