What is Transport Layer?
Transport layer is the Layer 4 of the Open Systems Interconnection (OSI) reference model. The transport layer is responsible for providing reliable transport services to the upper-layer protocols. These services include the following:
- Flow control to ensure that the transmitting device does not send more data than the receiving device can handle
- Packet sequencing for segmentation of data packets and remote reassembly
- Error handling and acknowledgments to ensure that data is retransmitted when required
- Multiplexing for combining data from several sources for transmission over one data path
- Virtual circuits for establishing sessions between communicating stations